Sunday 12 April 2009

In My Garden I Am Queene


I have always marvelled at the beautiful samplers and embroideries from the past which were made by girls of ten and eleven. The most remarkable are those of Martha Edlin and Hannah Smith who , at the age of eleven , completed the most stunning embroidered boxes. In the seventeenth century there was a fashion for raised work or stumpwork(a 19th C. term).
So , I decided it was time to create something like it of my own on a corset. I began planning at the start of this year and began work at the beginning of March...my deadline is the first of May ! when it will be exhibited.
The design includes some mythical creatures , created for me some time ago by fashion illustrator Richard Gray , the first is a boarfinch......

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...