Saturday 26 September 2015

Lachrimae Rerum


   This piece is ready to go to the show, finally. It has a leaf missing but after two years making all the different parts I think it needs to get out ! Obviously it didn't literally take two years to make but there have been other things to do and the moths took so long..... It has a lovely dome  to live under now so you can get very close to it and will be at the front of the stand.
 Like most of my work it has its' roots in ideas about transience and fragility. The moths are in a state of evolution from flat lace to full bodied flight whilst the book grows moss along its' spine. One of the pages in another book has embroidered clover with dew and a sycamore key sits with a real but rusting key and escutcheon. Eventually there will be some ivy too....
 Lachrimae rerum translates as 'the tears of things'. I have always been drawn to things in a state of passing or decay be it old books or textiles or autumn leaves and so it seemed appropriate to show my work like this now. It is difficult to give modern textile work context outside of either domestic use or just being in a frame  so I decided to stage my tiny little pieces to give them meaning.I must admit to being secretly pleased when people ask me why I'm just showing some dead leaves!




2 comments:

Felicity said...

oh, that's magical!

the glass pingle said...

As ever, thankyou for your support!! Fleur x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...