Wednesday 17 February 2021

Forget Me Not, pt 3.

 

 This delicate paper silk shift is 'Not in Public'.

   In removing touch from my life social distancing has also removed inappropriate touch from my life. Men can no longer try and touch me on the train or in social situations, they have to keep their distance. Many women will have felt relief from this persistent menace but many will also have been subjected to increased abuse in private.

 

This shift began as an outfit to wear in the supermarket with spikes all over. As I layered the spikes down the front I realised that they also looked like medieval 'breast bags', a breast supporting modification to shifts which is still apparent in the traditional clothing of women in southern India.

I spread embroidered spikes along the hem and sleeves with 'keep-out' symbols on the sides.


 

This shift has the additional accessory of a double sided mask-mirror, one side with an embroidered black eye....


 

 ...the other with a brave pouty lipstick mouth



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...